Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Joy to the World: Tenth Day


Joy to the world! The Lord is come: let earth receive her king;
Let every heart prepare him room, and heaven and nature sing.

With “Joy to the world” in my heart and mind, I’m looking each of these twelve days of Christmas for the beauty and wonder in God’s world, for instances of the joy that runs through all of creation.

There was no time for a walk outside today, but as I ran out to go an afternoon meeting, the squirrel who lives in our hackberry tree greeted me. This is the squirrel who eats from our bird feeders and will nibble some of my flowers this spring – a rascal indeed – but it’s also the wild creature who hangs around without being terribly concerned about our presence, and who entertains us with great contortions as it goes after the food in the bird feeders. Rascal though it is, this squirrel brings me joy, and surely it’s one of God’s beloved creatures.



Here it is a few days ago. It often sits on this bent branch to eat a nut and chatter.



And here it is late this fall, dining at the bird feeder.


No comments:

Post a Comment